Sunday, February 26, 2012

When Poetry was born (in my life at least)

To state the obvious, this week's theme is: Poetry

Let me begin by first looking back and recollecting the very first time I became interested in and began writing poetry...

To be honest, it was that long ago that I can't pinpoint the exact moment I began. However, I would say, as soon as I had learnt how to rhyme, I was writing poetry. One memory relating to poetry that sticks out in my mind was when I was in Year 3 in Primary School and I had to submit a poem to my teacher for Creative Writing. I still remember the opening lines of my silly, random poem that I had come up with on the spot:

Kenny the kicking kangaroo,
Came coughing kettles through her shoe,
'Cure me Donna, cure me Sue!'


While I had no idea at that age what was expected of us in terms of writing and/or poetry, when my teacher came and spoke to me about my poem, the disbelief on her face and her question, "Did you really write this by yourself?", suggested to me that perhaps my poem was actually pretty alright for an 8 year old.

Since that time, Poetry has continued to be a significant part of my life, an outlet for my thoughts and creativity.
In my next blog, I might talk a bit more about why Poetry interests me and share some tips on writing that have helped me.

Do you remember when you first started writing Poetry?

No comments:

Post a Comment